Monday, November 26, 2012

Olympic Peninsula Weekend!

Back during early summer I took the kids on the Mukilteo/Clinton ferry, which is just a short 10-15 minute ferry ride.  We were at a park in Mukilteo on the water and the kids were really interested in the ferry...so we did a walk-on ride back and forth really quickly.  Since then I've been wanting to take them on a longer trip either to Friday Harbor or to the Olympic Peninsula.  I finally decided, and a couple weeks ago I took the kids to the Peninsula for an overnight trip.

It started with the drive to the Edmonds ferry terminal.

We were about 20 minutes early so we walked around a bit since I knew they'd be stuck in the car for a good portion of the rest of the weekend!  Wanted to give them a stretch as often as possible.

Ethan was a bit unsure of the ferry, and he tripped and fell (while safely inside the main seating area) and it REALLY scared him.  I think that he thought he might fall overboard.  He didn't actually get hurt but took forever to calm down and stop crying.

Tenley was just fine!  They both didn't believe that we were moving though...just the other boats and the water were moving  :o)


Inside where it's less windy!

Back out on deck.  The kids could look up and see the ferry-boat captain at the helm (or whatever you call it) and he waved at the kids.  They were pretty excited.

Once we landed in Kingston we headed off on our adventure.  We spent about 2 hours total in Port Gamble (which could not possibly be more adorable) and ate lunch at a tea house after playing in a park.


Tenley is getting sick of waiting for their sanwiches...but they all got eaten!  Who knew cheese and mayo on white bread (with no crusts and cut into tiny triangles) could be so good!?


Our next stop was at Crescent Lake...which I think is gorgeous.  There was a little 1.2 mile hike around with pretty much zero elevation change and it was through the woods, which is always fun.

They did a pretty good job keeping up.  It was a lot colder than I thought it would be though...just above freezing most of the time.

They're getting better at looking at the camera at the same time, but it's still unlikely that they're both going to be making an acceptable face!!

On a tree.  Tenley though this was a fun pose...there was a little outcropping that held her in place pretty good (which you can't see) so I think she felt pretty safe.

There was a tree that had been hollowed out by a forest fire!

And on the way back to the car Tenley insisted that I set her on this mossy rock...it's a pretty cute pic!


We went onward to Forks, WA (yes, home of the Twilight series books/movies) to spend the night.  The kids were both pretty impressed that we had our own small microwave and refrigerator in the room...which came in SUPER handy for milk and juice.  They liked that we could fall asleep watching movies while already in bed...but then suddenly Tenley realized that we weren't going to be at home for bedtime (something that has always been hard for her) and so that caused some tears and concern.  They did eventually fall asleep though.

The next morning no one wanted breakfast, so we headed out and went to Rialto Beach near LaPush.

If you zoom in on this picture you'll see that Tenley is HORRIFIED to be standing on that log.  I'm not sure why, it was really big and there was plenty of flat surface to stand on, but she was not a fan!  


A little happier on the ground :o)  I love the sea stacks in the background...so beautiful! 

The kids spent about 30 minutes throwing rocks into the surf before we decided that our adventure had come to an end (mostly due to the wet and cold...it was raining on this particular morning).  We headed back home and only made one significant stop (a 1-hour lunch/play break at the McDonald's in Port Angeles that has a Playland)...other stops included 2 road-side potty breaks, which the kids find endlessly amusing.

It was a trying weekend as that they're still experts at not listening, but I'm glad we went and I think they are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment