On Sunday we took the kids to the zoo for the first time. It was a lot of fun. I must admit though, I thought they would be a lot more excited about the animals than they were. They had fun for sure, but their reactions weren't as big and crazy as I thought they would be. Next time we go, we're hitting the petting zoo for sure!! That should be a lot more interesting. Here are pictures:
Tenley is looking at a fish tank/terrarium area in the Tropical Rain Forest section. I think mostly they liked climbing around of the fake rocks and being allowed to run around. I highly recommend getting to the zoo the minute it opens. It's kind of cool to be the only ones in a particular display area.
Ethan looking at some snakes I think...possibly also the terrarium with fish and turtles though...I don't remember for sure.
Ethan pointing to some birds in the aviary. This was Tenley's favorite area I think...all of the different bird sounds were pretty neat.
This is Tenley looking at a black and white colobus monkey. When he first saw it Ethan made growling (lion) noises...we said, "No, he doesn't growl." so then Ethan meowed...we said that was probably closer...he has long hair like the cats, we'll let it slide!
Ethan and Daddy walking down the path. They did such a great job walking (see also: running) around all day. We rented a stroller, but they didn't really want to sit in it much...they got a TON of exercise (and a 3 hour nap afterwards).
We were the only ones at the gorilla exhibit when we got there, which was great! This was a mom and a young gorilla. The little one got up and started walking away along the glass...I thought the babies would be more excited by this since it was about their size and so close, but again, they didn't seem all that interested.
Much more exciting was snack time at the park where we got to run around like a bunch of crazies and chase crows. Tenley had a LOT of fun running around (and picking up every stick, leaf, feather, etc. available...there are a lot of sticks on the ground at the zoo, just so you know).
Ethan and Mommy eating Cheerios and raisins in a nice grassy area. (while Tenley ran around like a crazy person and Lars chased her)
Then, they decided that instead of sitting in the stroller, they'd just push it around for us. It was pretty cute.
Overall it was a fantastic day. We got there at 9:30am and left shortly after noon. I think that's about as long as we'll be able to handle for a while, just go in the morning before naps and take a nap on the way home. One thing I underestimated is the need for more snacks with all of the energy they were burning...but the zoo sells food, so it's not a huge deal! Next time we'll bring a lot of fruit I think.
We didn't make it to the petting zoo or the elephants, but now we have goals for next time!!
No comments:
Post a Comment